Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Invasion of the Jews?

I tread lightly when speaking of a new German Jewish conflict, but it has occurred in my own linguistic jousting arena. As I've made evident previously, I'm attempting to learn German in an environment virtually free of German. I don't have any enthusiastic conversation partners around me, just one that likes to awkwardly make fun of my accent. Note to people with friends trying to learn a language you already know: don't make fun of or criticize their accent when they're beginners. Accents can always be corrected later and often will be when the speaker gets more comfortable with speaking and has the mental capacity to pay attention to it. I remember a relative of mine once correcting my Spanish accent every time I spoke, and I now have a respectable ability to mimic the sound and cadence of native speakers, no thanks to her. I think it's great to correct a consistent pronunciation error--my French teacher told me I was saying beau cu, which sounds identical to beau cul, nice ass, rather than my intended beaucoup (many)--but the main way to improve accent is through exposure. Anyway, getting back to the jousting, at times a language like Hebrew will attempt to annex the time slot I have dedicated to learning German. I have little immediate motivation for learning German and I might hang out with some Israelis, go to an Israeli concert, or simple sit through a temple service and suddenly feel forlorn because I can't understand the proceedings.

I think I only have room to work on one new language at a time, but I'm not positive that's true. This week I keep popping open the FSI Hebrew course to see if I can try out a lesson. Then I feel unfaithful to my German, which I've been nurturing for six months and don't want to ween until it's comfortably walking on it's own furry little circus bear paws. And yet, Hebrew isn't anything like German, except for my lack of familiarity with it. Does being a beginner at German mean my brain can't allocate more new language neurons? I don't know, but I think it's worth finding out. Why should I spend a year being monogamous when I can play the field a little and maybe find a more fitting relationship? Am I more likely to need one more than the other? Ok, enough bad reproductive analogies. Maybe Hebrew will shove out of port before I catch something permanent. Ok, seriously, stop.

No comments: