Saturday, October 16, 2010

Recite the dialog

I begin each of my FSI units by following along in the book during the Dialog for Learning. The Dialog for Learning introduces each new vocabulary word or phrase prior to saying the line of the dialog (the book and tapes both list words then the dialog line.) As the new words are listed, I create flash cards for them and mnemonic devices. I used to wait until I listened to the whole dialog to make the flashcards, and I used to wait for the drills to reintroduce the words before creating mnemonic devices, Now I do it all in "real-time" so I won't be distracted during the drills. If I forget a word during the drills I can look at my mnemonic device for reenforcement.

When I get to the dialog line I listen to the tape with little comprehension. Then I read the line in the book for comprehension and speak it. The tape repeats each line once and I do the same. The problem is that I recite the line without paying much attention to the underlying structure of the sentence. The better exercise is to actually memorize the entire line and recite it while looking straight ahead rather than down at the book. Although it's possible to memorize something without any comprehension (you remember those kids from the piano recitals,) It's a lot easier to fully comprehend what you're saying and the structure of the sentence. I am beginning to recite all the dialog lines without looking at the book, which enforces the new vocabulary and helps me build mental fluency with the grammatical structure. It's very tedious to memorize every sentence as I go through the dialog. Often the lines are twenty to thirty words, and I can only keep the whole thing in my head long enough to say it a couple times. I think the reward will be great if I persist. I am on the 22nd of 24 lessons of the entire German course. I think when I finish that I'll go back to the start of the first or second book and work my way rapidly through all the units again. I never attempted this with French oro Spanish but it seems needed given my complete lack of speeking experience with German.

No comments: